Device Enrollment is a great way to set up "zero-touch" deployment for your fleet. ✨ When an ABM-enrolled device successfully connects to the Internet in Setup Assistant, it triggers a call into the Device Enrollment server. Wiping and re-imaging a device can trigger this call—resulting in an ABM-enrolled device (e.g. a laptop) checking into the Fleetsmith Admin Console as a "Pending" device. It is therefore recommended that you follow the below steps when re-provisioning:
- 📖 Archive the device in the Fleetsmith Admin Console.
- Wipe and re-install macOS on the device. Be sure to erase your disk before re-installing macOS by following these instructions: 📖 How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery.
- Device will auto-enroll in Fleetsmith and show up as Pending - at this point please approve the device and assign to the new user.
The following should be considered when re-provisioning an ABM-enrolled device:
- If the device checks in as a "Duplicate" device, follow the prompts to approve it and replace the existing device record within Fleetsmith.
- If you do not wipe the device before reassigning, the device will still show up in the Automatic Account Creation section of the devices page. However, if you do wipe the device, this section will no longer exist.
- If the device is being permanently removed from your fleet (i.e. sold, E-wasted, etc) make sure the device is completely removed from Apple Business Manager (ABM) and Fleetsmith before decommissioning. Instructions on how to decommission an ABM-enrolled device can be found here: 📖 Selling or decommissioning a Fleetsmith enrolled device.