- A laptop is purchased from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller that supports Device Enrollment.
- Within 24 hours, (potentially before it’s even shipped) the device shows up within Fleetsmith.
- You, the Fleetsmith admin, approve & assign the new device in Fleetsmith to the user the device is meant for.
- If the feature is enabled, Fleetsmith automatically generates the macOS user account, including a temporary password for use at first logon, which can be found on the individual device page. You, the Fleetsmith admin, note the macOS username and password, and communicate it to the employee.
- The employee receives the (still wrapped) device. They take the plastic off, power it on, and log in using the temporary password.
- The Fleetsmith Agent downloads and install itself automatically on the device. It then installs relevant apps & settings on the device, based on the profile(s) assigned to the device within Fleetsmith.
How can I make sure I have the most successful Device Enrollment deployment workflow?
- Setup Device Enrollment in the Fleetsmith Admin Console under Setup > MDM & DEP.
- If enforcing FileVault via Fleetsmith, make sure to skip FileVault in Setup Assistant, and instead allow it be enforced by Fleetsmith. This allows key escrow to occur. If FileVault is enabled manually, the FileVault Recovery Key can not be escrowed by Fleetsmith. To learn more about how to encrypt your devices with FileVault, see How do I encrypt my devices with FileVault 2 through Fleetsmith?
- Purchase all new devices through Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller that supports Device Enrollment.
- Pre-assign and approve Device Enrollment devices within Fleetsmith while they’re still in transit to the destination. Devices will show up in Fleetsmith within 24 hours of placing an order.
- When using the , be sure to assign specific device(s) to specific employees based on serial number. You can check device specifications and Serial Numbers on individual device approval page and cross compare against Apple order info / shipping destination.
- Make sure to communicate the the randomized account password to the employee before they receive the device. The randomized password is available in Fleetsmith as soon as the device has been approved & assigned. It can be found on the individual device page and sent to the new employee out of band, so they already have the username and password by the time the machine arrives.
- Make sure the employee knows they need to have internet connectivity during Setup Assistant, otherwise both Device Enrollment and macOS account creation will fail and Fleetsmith Agent will not automatically be installed.
📖 For more information, see the