There are two ways to upload a custom package when creating a Custom App: via the file upload feature or with a URL if the package is hosted on a cloud service. We'll outline both methods below.
Upload a custom package via file upload
Uploading a custom package using the file upload feature couldn't be easier. Simply drag and drop your .pkg file in the designated box. You can also click anywhere in the box to browse for your file.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when uploading a .pkg file:
- Once the custom app is created, the file cannot be changed.
- The total size limit for all Custom Apps on your account is 20GB. Once you hit this limit you must delete an existing Custom App to create a new one.
- There is a 30GB monthly limit for unique uploads.
- If a device goes to sleep or disconnects from the internet while the package is uploading, the upload will stop. You will need upload the package again.
You'll see a green check mark when the file has been successfully uploaded.
Upload a custom package via URL
To upload a custom package using a URL, click on the Use URL button and you'll see this.
You'll need to provide a direct link and the SHA-256 Hash for your package. We'll show you how to get both.
How to get the direct link to your custom package
The custom package (.pkg) file should be hosted on a cloud service such as Amazon Web Services, Dropbox, or Google Drive where it can be accessed via a URL.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when entering the URL to your hosted package:
- Once the custom app is created, this URL cannot be changed.
- URLs to custom packages normally end in .pkg.
- The URL must be publicly accessible.
- Confirm the URL is correct before creating the custom app. Fleetsmith does not validate URLs, so an incorrect link could cause issues once the custom app is deployed.
Please note: Hosting services mentioned below and throughout this article are provided as examples, and should not be considered official recommendations.
In Dropbox: Hover over your file and click the Share button, then click Create Link and confirm that the link is viewable to Anyone with the link.
⭐️Please ensure that your link ends in ?dl=1 instead of ?dl=0.⭐️
In Google Drive: Find your file, right-click and choose Get Shareable Link. Ensure that the share settings are set to Anyone with the link can view. Then, find the File ID and reformat the link to this format:
Finding the SHA-256 hash
The next step after entering the URL of your custom package is to enter the SHA-256 hash, which Fleetsmith uses to validate the authenticity of downloaded packages, ensuring they are complete and can be trusted.
Depending on your macOS version, one of the three commands below should work to obtain the SHA256 binary hash for a package:
shasum -a 256 <file>
openssl sha -sha256 <file>
openssl sha256 <file>
As an example, a SHA256 hash might look something like this: