Apple's Device Enrollment Program (DEP) is a great way to set up "zero-touch" deployment for your fleet. ✨ When a DEP device successfully connects to the Internet in Setup Assistant, it triggers a call into Apple's DEP server. Wiping and re-imaging a device can trigger this call—resulting in a DEP device checking into the Fleetsmith web app as a "Pending" device. It is therefore recommended that you follow the below steps when re-provisioning:
- Archive the device in Fleetsmith.
- Wipe the device.
- Go through the device setup in recovery mode (full instructions can be found here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904
- Device will auto-enroll in Fleetsmith and show up as Pending - at this point please approve the device and assign to the new user.
The following should be considered when re-provisioning a DEP device:
- If the device checks in as a "Duplicate" device, follow the prompts to approve it and replace the existing device record within Fleetsmith.
- If you do not wipe the device before reassigning, the device will still show up in the Automatic Account Creation section of the devices page. However, if you do wipe the device, this section will no longer exist.
- If the device is being permanently removed from your fleet (i.e. sold, E-wasted, etc) make sure the device is completely removed from the Apple Business Manager (ABM) and Fleetsmith before decommissioning. Instructions on how to decommission a DEP device can be found here.