This Deployment Guide is designed to guide you through the entire deployment process—from initial sign up to full deployment. Here's a quick overview of what you'll find:
- Product Tutorial Recap: Getting Started
- Full Deployment and Advanced Features
If you've already completed the Fleetsmith Product Tutorial, go ahead and skip the Product Tutorial Recap and move along to Full Deployment. Here we go!
Product Tutorial Recap: Getting Started
When you first sign up for Fleetsmith, you'll land on the welcome screen:
To get started, click Users on the left column.
1. Import Users
Once you upload thedevices! To do this:
1. On the Devices page select Enroll multiple devices. Then click the Select users and draft enrollment email button:
Once you’re ready to deploy Fleetsmith to your entire company, simply import the rest of your employees, filter for those with unmanaged devices, and send the email! As they install the Fleetsmith agent, approve and assign, rinse and repeat.
Don't forget to hide any bot/service accounts you don't want managed.
Depending on your situation, you might already have existing management tools. If you do, you can also use those to push out our Agent installer to your employees. You can also use SSH or ARD to push the installer.
You may want to draft a plan outlining how to communicate with your company before, during, and after deployment. Employees appreciate transparency, communication, and advance notice.
2. Approve & assign machines
Just as we did above, you're now able to approve and assign devices after the Fleetsmith Agent is installed on them. Approved devices are immediately added to your Devices page (where they form your device inventory), and secure communication with Fleetsmith's servers over the internet is enabled.
As a shortcut, you can use the Approve & Assign all devices button for all devices. It's especially useful if you're deploying Fleetsmith to a large group of users.
Next, you'll create Profiles for your organization. You can easily replicate this common pattern: mapping Profiles to departments. For example, you'd create a Profile for IT, a Profile for Finances, and a Profile for Marketing.
Of course, as discussed above, you'll have the special Global Profile. Anything in the Global Profile is applied to all devices that belong to it.
You can assign Profiles either to users, or directly to devices.
4. Enjoy automatic app installs, update, and settings enforcement across your fleet!
Congratulations, you did it! You're now enjoying the benefits of a powerful, secure, cloud-based Mac management product, and you've already saved a ton of time by automating settings and enforcement.
If you're ready for even more power, check out some of the more advanced features Fleetsmith offers:
- Configurable apps and settings. osquery, Chef, Puppet, Malwarebytes Breach Remediation, and Filebeat are all configurable apps, meaning they can be configured to fit your company’s deployment type with custom settings.
- macOS Upgrades. macOS Sierra is the latest version of macOS currently available. You can upgrade your entire fleet to Sierra with just one click.
- FileVault key escrow. You can escrow each Mac's personal FileVault recovery key. Recovery keys are accessible anytime in Fleetsmith.